TJ is old enough to play T-ball and so we asked him if he would like to play Tball or Soccer. He chose Tball after we explained what each sport was. Little did I know that this would be a test for him. A test again that it is OK for him to not be near his Daddy, to learn to play with others and be ok with it.
His first practice was last week-at 6:30. He practiced all afternoon with Daddy. He would get fustrated about not catching the ball but hey he's four. So at practice he is the youngest of all the children. THE ONLY FOUR YEAR OLD!!! I thought he'd at least pick the grass but participate and be excited. NOOOOO...not my kid. My kid was the kid that climbs the fence, hides in the dugout and has to be drug around the field by either myself or Tommy and to top it all off would stomp off and scream. It was rather embarrassing and I could hear the other parents snicker a few times. I was mortified. As I sat on the bleachers and even tried to intervene a few times I thought to myself what was I thinking?!
The coach's assistant coach-his wife bless her heart, took TJ up in her arms-still SCREAMING, and shoooed Tommy away. Tommy went behind a building and peeped between the wall and the fence to see TJ but TJ couldn't see him. TJ STILL SCREAMED!!! But she held him. She loved him.
I loved him. I was dissapointed in him but I loved him. I was sad for him but I loved him. When practice was over I thought for sure that they would have said "Im sorry but this might not be the right timing for TJ." But they DIDN'T! They said see you next practice and we will have fun!
Tomorrow my mom is coming. She's had them all weekend. Tommy won't be coming to practices any more. He can't. It's sad. It makes me sad. TJ just can't handle it. I can't understand why.
I love him. I get dissapointed and fustrated but I love him. Next practice will be better and if not that practice then the next one and we will continue to try, even if it takes to the last game of the season. This is my prayer!




1 comments:
Poor little guy! Don't feel discouraged at all! A lot of kids his age (heck any age for that matter) sometimes feel the need to hold on to their parents even if it hurts. He just needs some time and practice. Just like with T-Ball, TJ need to practice letting go a little and being with his teammates. It will get better and he will thank you for it in the long run for having such great memories of being on a team :) You're a great Mom for going through with it. Just keep going and don't look back!
Give TJ (and Owen) hugs and kisses from Aunie Megan and Uncle Alex. If we could we would be at every game cheering the little guy on!
Good luck!
Megan & Alex
Post a Comment